Freddie Mac Foundation Family Home
Last year, the Family Home was home to 25 households, consisting of 26 adults and 33 children.
Where the journey toward self-sufficiency and safe, permanent housing begins.
The Doorways Freddie Mac Foundation Family Home provides more than a safe, temporary home, we provide comprehensive services to help families get back on their feet.
The Family Home is a $2.4 million, 7,200-square-foot, two-story, therapeutic home re-built in 2007 to replace the damaged and deteriorated, 70-year-old, 2,900-square-foot house that Doorways had operated since 1989. It welcomes 21 individuals—up to seven families—in a family-friendly and program-supportive environment. It will provide a haven for families who are homeless, 24-hours a day, 365-days a year. In our new Family Home, Doorways provides an inspiring and safe haven where futures of promise take root.
Residents of the Family Home will:
- Set goals toward achieving a self-sufficient future of permanent housing with staff supporting every step.
- Work intensively with their Financial Educator on budgeting, money management, debt reduction, and other vital financial skills.
- Address mental health concerns in a confidential, private setting.
- Work with Children Service staff to ensure that their children are receiving the services they need.
- Obtain linkages to other needed services in the community.
- Create a moving expense plan for when they leave the shelter.
- Cook nutritious meals in a full-size double kitchen.
- Enhance parenting skills in a supportive environment.
- Spend quality time with children in a dedicated playroom.
Doorways staff will be working closely with our families to help identify their goals for independent living and support their progress in these goals.
A few facts about the Family Home:
- There are 21 beds and 10 bedrooms. On average 5 to 9 families will reside at this Family Home on any given day. More than half of the residents will be children under the age of 12.
- Occasionally a single woman will also reside here for services to help us stay at our permitted maximum of 21 residents.
- The average length of time a family will reside here will be three months before moving on to the Doorways HomeStart Supportive Housing program or into the community independently without additional services.
- Food for more than 20,000 individual meals are provided annually free of charge to the families residing at the Family Home.