April is Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month (SAAPM). Use this kit to raise awareness through the SAAPM National Day of Action, the first Tuesday in April.*
*If you are part of a faith community, select a Saturday/Sunday during April to wear teal instead.
Wear teal and post a selfie or a group photo to social media, tagging @doorways_va on Instagram or @doorwaysva on Twitter and Facebook. Add one of these statements to tell your friends why you’re wearing teal, and call on them to join you in creating change:
- Today, I am wearing teal for the 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men who experience sexual violence. Join me in supporting survivors by donating to @doorways_va today! #TealOut
- The likelihood that a person suffers suicidal or depressive thoughts increases after sexual violence. Sexual violence also affects victims’ relationships with their family, friends, and co-workers. This #dayofaction, I’m wearing teal to raise awareness about the lasting impact of assault, show my support for survivors, and help reduce the stigma they face to ensure they can access the help they need to heal. Join me by donating to @doorways_va today!
- Today, I am wearing teal for the 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men who experience sexual violence. If you need help, contact @doorways_va at 703-237-0881, or the national hotline (@rainn) at 800-656-HOPE (4673) to be connected with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area. You are not alone.
How to use a donation sticker to support Doorways on Instagram
If you post your photo to your Instagram Story, add a Donate Button and encourage your friends to give to Doorways and support survivors.
- From your story, tap to add stickers.
- From there, you can add a donation sticker to allow people to donate to Doorways.
- You can pin stickers to a fixed spot in your video. After taking a video, add a sticker, then tap it and hold. Use the slider bar at the bottom of the screen to scroll through the video to find where you want to pin the sticker. Move the sticker and tap Pin.
- Rotate and resize a sticker by using two fingers to pinch and zoom.
- After you select the donation sticker, select Doorways (@doorways_va) and customize the name of your fundraiser.
- When people see your donation sticker in your story, they can tap Donate to donate to Doorways.
- Swipe up on your story to see the total amount raised and donations by username.