Items One Should Consider Taking
If you leave your abusive partner, it is important to take certain items with you. You may also want to give an extra copy of papers, set of keys, and clothing to a friend just in case you have to leave quickly.
- Identification for yourself
- Birth certificates for yourself and any children
- Social security cards for yourself and any children
- School and vaccination records
- Checkbook, ATM or debit card
- Credit cards
- Keys to house, car, office, etc.
- Driver’s license
Other items to consider:
- Welfare identification
- Work permits
- Green cards
- Divorce papers
- Medical records
- Lease/rental agreement, house deed, and/or mortgage payment book
- Bank books
- Insurance papers
- Address book
- Children’s favorite toys and/or blankets
- Items of special sentimental value
Doorways provides shelter and services to individuals and families in Arlington, Virginia. If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse in our community, call Arlington’s 24-hour Domestic & Sexual Violence Hotline 703-237-0881 for information and support. Please call 911 if you are experiencing a life-threatening situation. Not in Arlington? Please see alternative resources here.