Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), or Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month (SAAPM). Each year, this month offers opportunities to raise community awareness about sexual violence and resources available to survivors. Join us throughout April by participating in our awareness days and events, sharing news and social media posts and more. To continue supporting survivors and our community education efforts all year long, join our cause.
8 Ways to Create Change
- #Knowthe5 about sexual assault
- Turn your social media profile pictures teal for SAAPM
- Learn how Doorways provides an immediate response to survivors through our 24-hour Domestic & Sexual Violence Hotline, offers mobile advocacy, and for those seeking medical attention, provides hospital accompaniment. Spread the word among your networks about the resources available in our community!
- Attend an event.
- Participate in an awareness day:
- Wear teal for Teal Out.
- Participate in Start By Believing Day (download the commitment placard here)
- Wear denim for Denim Day.
- Share your support on social media and tag @doorways_va on Instagram; @DoorwaysVA on Twitter; and Doorways for Women and Families on Facebook (please make post public).
- You can also email your pictures to LBeckbridge@DoorwaysVA.org
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more, and share our posts throughout the month to raise awareness among your friends and family.
- Encourage your workplace, school, community organization or other group to participate in SAAPM.
- Share this page with your friends and invite them to join you in taking action during SAAPM — just click the retweet button below:
April is Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention Month (#SAAPM). Here are 8 ways to support survivors, take a stand against sexual violence, and create change in your community: https://t.co/wlPSbZqQhr pic.twitter.com/khkcQqxYas
— Doorways (@DoorwaysVA) March 27, 2018
The Facts About Sexual Assault
Resources for Survivors of Sexual Assault in Our Community
Through our 24-Hour Domestic & Sexual Violence Hotline, Doorways offers survivors:
- Confidential counseling and safety planning
- Accompaniment to emergency medical care
- Referrals to Doorways Court Advocate, Revive Domestic & Sexual Violence Counseling Program and other resources