About this event
Register today to join us for Embrace Your Voice 2022, the eighth annual poetry share hosted in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month (SAAPM) by Doorways, Friends of Guest House, and the Alexandria Sexual Assault Center. This year’s poetry share will be a hybrid in-person and virtual event, with attendees and poets participating from the Lee Center in Alexandria or online via Zoom.
- To share your work, please register as a poet (in-person or virtual) by Monday, April 18th. We will send you a participant consent form and request a copy of your poem(s) in advance.
- To attend the event, please register as an attendee (in-person or virtual).
Poems must be original, of the poet’s own construction. Poems may not include homophobic or sexist comments, or comments offensive to a class or group of people. Poets are required to complete a participant consent form to share their work.
While sexual assault is an important topic, and something we should be aware of and talk about, it is a subject that can raise feelings like sadness and fear, and bring up painful memories. If you experience anxiety or uncomfortable emotions during the event, we invite you to seek out one of our trained advocates who can listen, and lend support onsite at the Lee Center on online via the Zoom chat.
You can also contact these hotlines for support any time:
- Doorways (Arlington) Domestic & Sexual Violence Hotline: 703-237-0881
- Alexandria: 703-683-7273 (Sexual Assault Hotline) or 703-746-4911 (Domestic Violence Hotline)
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-4673 / Online Chat: hotline.rainn.org y hotline.rainn.org/es