Donations from the community aid Doorways in keeping food and household supplies expenditures as low as possible, enabling us to focus our financial resources on providing our clients with a safe home and support services that help them build independent, self-sufficient lives. Please see our donation guidelines for details on what items we do and do not accept.
To learn more about our current needs, ask about a potential donation, or schedule a donate dropoff, please contact Anna MacNiven at (703) 504-9291 or AMacNiven@DoorwaysVA.org.
Current In-Kind Wish List
To assist Doorways in meeting our clients’ ongoing needs for personal care and household items, see Doorways’ online wish list for our urgent needs in addition to the list of year-round needs below.
You can donate these items by coordinating a collection drive, making an individual donation or ordering them online for easy and fast delivery through our Amazon Wish List. Please see our donation guidelines for additional information.
How to Shop Doorways’ Amazon Wish List
Visit our Amazon Wish List at amazon.com to see our urgently needed items.
Choose a shipping address: To ship to Doorways directly, please select our Gift Registry Address. Alternatively, you can ship the item(s) to yourself, and then arrange an in-person donation drop off.
Choose gift options: Please leave your name, address and contact information in the “Gift Message” section. This information will then be printed on the gift receipt. Otherwise, we will not know the gift came from you. Save gift options and continue with your checkout as normal. Thank you for your donation!
Empower survivors of domestic and sexual violence and homelessness with the power of choice! Donated Giant, Safeway and Target gift cards are used to meet the daily need for fresh fruits and vegetables, baby food, formula, special dietary items and culturally appropriate food. Gift cards provide Doorways’ clients with:
- Spending flexibility
- Decision-making ability
- Financial empowerment
- The ability to choose new clothing, personal care products, school supplies and groceries
Order gift cards online have them shipped to the address below:
- Order Target gift cards online (at target.com)
- Order T.J.Maxx gift cards online (at tjmaxx.com)
- Order Marshall’s gift cards online (at marshalls.com)
- Order Ross gift cards online (at rossstores.com)
- Order Old Navy gift cards online (at oldnavy.com)
- Order Amazon gift cards online (at amazon.com)
- Order Giant gift cards online (at giantfood.com)
- Order Safeway gift cards online (at safeway.com)
Ship gift cards to Doorways at the address below, attention: Development Associate. We will send you a receipt for your donation.
Doorways for Women and Families
P.O. Box 100185
Arlington, VA 22210
If you prefer to purchase gift cards in store, you can also mail to the address above, please contact us to arrange a drop off.
Household, Personal Care, and Baby Items (New, Unopened and Full-Size)
- Garbage bags
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Laundry detergent (liquid or pods; no powder)
- Lysol wipes
- Disinfectant wipes
- Dishwasher detergent
- Dishwashing soap
- Swiffer WetJet refills
- Diapers (all sizes)
- Baby wipes
These items can be ordered online through Doorways’ online wish list and they will be delivered to us directly. Please see our donation guidelines for additional information. To arrange an in-person drop off, please call (703) 504-9400.
To make the process of donating easier and for the safety and interests of our clients, here are some guidelines for providing in-kind donations to Doorways clients:
- See Doorways’ online wish list or contact Doorways staff to determine which new, full-size items we currently need most.
- Please call ahead to schedule a drop off time. Donations are only accepted at our main office and must be prearranged with Doorways staff.
- We accept new, unopened, full-size items (instead of travel-sized items), which help our clients feel at home.
- For additional details, please contact us.
Items We Do Not Accept
We are unable to accept the following items. For alternative places to donate these items, please check out our community partners!
- Used clothing, toys, or books
- Furniture, including mattresses
- Food, candy, or drinks
- Used bedding or linens
- Travel-size items such as toiletries and household items
- Open, used, broken, or soiled items (including personal care items, bedding, linens, etc.)
- Items that have been recalled, banned, or do not meet current safety standards (for more information, visit the Consumer Product Safety Commission)
Hoping to donate clothing, trial-size toiletries, food, furniture, or used toys and books? While Doorways generally does not accept these items, here’s a list of community partners who do accept these donations.