Back to School Campaign
Through Doorways’ Back to School Campaign, generous community members like you supported more than 85 children as they started the new school year in 2017. Together, this year, we can once again make the school year a joyous and enriching experience for every child Doorways serves. Give these kids the support and tools they need to succeed in school and build a brighter future. For additional details or to sign up to sponsor a child, please contact Marketa Reynolds at MReynolds@DoorwaysVA.org or (703) 504-9293. Thank you for investing in our young people today to help build brighter futures!
Ways to Give
- Donate now using the form below
- Donate gift cards to empower our clients to choose their own Back to School clothes and more
- Sponsor a child by fulfilling their Back to School supply shopping list
Back to School with Doorways
Each fall, thousands of children in Arlington begin their first day of school eager about the exciting experiences their school year will bring: meeting old and new friends, basketball and cheerleading tryouts, school pictures, band and chorus auditions and the new academic challenges of school work.
However, there are hundreds of children who look at the first day of school with more apprehension than excitement. These children walk into school feeling unprepared and lacking confidence. With food and shelter as their parents’ primary concern, those extra activities that make the school year so rewarding often take a back seat. Embarrassed and disappointed that their family can only afford necessities like groceries and rent, children living in poverty share a very different back to school experience than many of their peers.
By supporting Doorways’ Back to School Campaign, you can help ensure that all children have the same opportunities to make the most of their academic experience. You can make this school year brighter for the children in our shelters and housing program.
Thank you for your support and dedication to our students!
Sponsor a Child
Sponsors provide backpacks, school supplies and gift cards to one or more children at Doorways, preparing them to start the new school year with the tools they need to succeed in the classroom.
Empower Families with Gift Cards
Empower children, youth and families with the gift of choice during the Back to School shopping season.
Gift cards provide agency to the women, men and children we serve in many ways:
- Give young people the ability to pick their own Back to School clothes and accessories, empowering them with choice and giving them confidence.
- Provide with important opportunities to practice with budgeting, leading to independence and helping to prepare them for future money management.
- Help parents of younger children practice money management skills as they prepare their little ones to go back to school.
- Provide families with clothing and other critical supplies when they enter shelter in need of these basic items.
Order gift cards online have them shipped to the address below:
- Order Target gift cards online (at target.com)
- Order T.J.Maxx gift cards online (at tjmaxx.com)
- Order Marshall’s gift cards online (at marshalls.com)
- Order Ross gift cards online (at rossstores.com)
- Order Old Navy gift cards online (at oldnavy.com)
- Order Amazon gift cards online (at amazon.com)
Ship gift cards to Doorways at the address below, attention: Development Associate. We will send you a receipt for your donation.
Doorways for Women and Families
P.O. Box 100185
Arlington, VA 22210
If you prefer to purchase gift cards in store, you can also mail to the address above, or contact Marketa Reynolds at MReynolds@DoorwaysVA.org or (703) 504-9293 to arrange a drop-off.
Spread the Word
Like us on Facebook and share our Back to School posts with your friends
Follow us on Twitter and retweet our Back to School messages
Email your friends and encourage them to join you!
— Doorways (@DoorwaysVA) July 25, 2017