Doorways’ Court Advocacy program assists survivors of domestic violence with obtaining immediate and long-term legal protections. With an office at the Arlington County Courthouse, Doorways’ bilingual (Spanish and English) Court Advocate provides education about the legal system, companionship during the petition and court hearing processes and extensive safety planning for anyone impacted by family violence.
Accessible to the public, and serving men, women, and children, the Court Advocacy Program has been able to reach additional underserved populations in Arlington, particularly those who previously have not called Doorways’ Domestic & Sexual Violence Hotline or participated in the Domestic Violence Safehouse program.
Court Advocacy Program Provides:
- Assistance in filing for protection orders
- Accompaniment to civil court hearings and assistance throughout the court process
- Explanations regarding the court process and judgments
- Referrals to attorneys, victim assistance providers and crisis intervention programs
- Assistance in safety planning
- Emergency 911 cell phones
- Assistance in filing for other civil petitions, such as custody and child support
- Bilingual support in English and Spanish
If you have any questions regarding protection orders or accessing other court services, please contact our Court Advocate, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. at (703) 228-3749.